Thursday, July 12, 2012

July 2, 2012

Minha família. Tá bater? Tudo bárille?
Try translating that on Google. It's calão. hahahaha. (slang)
   So, things here have been great. The cockroaches are falling back in our war, and I finally got to go to Shoprite and get some good food. (better than the ghetto Kero haha). I got to help fill up our baptismal font by bucket on Saturday. Our font here has a leak, and President doesn't like ocean baptisms (dang it). I also got to confirm two kids from Congo that only speak English. Their names are Rebbecca and Peugar. They are so funny! Sorry I don't have pics this week. I forgot my memory card. But in Terra Nova, we have the absolute nicest internet café I've seen here. The internet is super fast. I shouldn't have problems downloading stuff, so feel free.
   I live with the Zls now, so I get lots of rides in their truck. It's really nice. Weather here is getting really cold. It's been like 25 degrees celcius here almost all week! (80 farenheit. haha suckers) People in this area are just to prepared to hear the gospel. They recognize the Spirit real easy, and are very willing to hear and learn from what we have to say. One man who was referenced to us from another dupla is named P. He was given a pamphlet. He then taught us the lesson about the Restoration. haha. He'll be getting baptized on the 21st.
   It's kind of weird hearing about Sam coming and Jake going. It sounds like their having a lot of fun and doing well though. It's even weirder to say that I've been on the mission for six months! WHAt? Oh, by the way, I forgot to tell you: I extended my mission by 3 weeks. :)
   The letter situation is hysterical. I went into the postal office today with one of the Zone leaders, and it is the absolute worst bureucracy I've ever seen in my life. Do not ever get upset at US government office waits. haha. We had to fill out like 3 declarations, and go back and forth between offices to get a package. it was crazy! But don't worry: letters aren't part of the craziness. Send letters freely. haha. Send me a letter with an international stamp (costs about $1) to this address:

  Elder Alex Hobbs
Igreja de Jesus Cristo dos S.U.D
   Caixa Postal 18404
     Luanda, Angola
I have to switch to email only with family from now on, so I gave all my friends my mailing address and will tell them:
Or, if $1 is too much money, you can email at my old account, frysauce01@yahoo.com and I'll have my parents forward the emails to me, although I won't be able to email back.
Let me know if you can't do that. President Walton says that that's the only way for friends to email me.
 As for packages, we have some specific instructions. I think Sister Walton will email you some, but this is what I know:
 You can send packages less than 2.2 lbs to the address above, but if you want to send something that is MORE than 2.2 lbs, you have to send it 'express' to get to that post office. If you don't send it express, It will be super hard for them to pick it up.
   Also, from what I saw today, don't send drugs. haha. They open your package in front of the Zone leaders. Also, if you send anything that could be considered ''valuable'' make sure to open it up from the box and make it look used. My zl got some CDs, and had to declare their price. (bureaucracy crazy). Also, if you send anything express, you need to email the tracking number to the mission office so that they can get it.
Yea. Mail. crazy. But it is a step forward. The people here are really working hard to make a change (that's saying something. I love Angolans, but they are some of the laziest people I've met) here in their country.
   Also, it feels so strange. I feel like I've learned so much out here. Like, I'm more mature now. I've had to learn how to deal with people. Also, we were talking about it today: the church trusts us so much. We are paid almost 600 dollars a month, get other things for free, and wear their nametags out every day. I either makes you grow up or go home. Weird thing to think about.
   Weston is finally an Eagle? DAAANG. Owen should get on that too. It might not matter to him now, but the Eagle Scout Award gets you a lot of rewards in the future. It helps with resumés, schooling, and I hear you can get out of a ticket if you ''accidentally'' pull it out on a cop haha.
I miss you all a toa. Bue. TOA TOA TOA TOA!!!! I think of you all all the time.
   Vos-amo. Com todo de meu coração,
Elder Alex Hobbs

No comments:

Post a Comment