Monday, October 8, 2012

October 8

Família Hobbs,

   I'm glad to hear that you are all doing so well! I'm also very excited about the conference announcement. (If Elder Hyde's girlfriend decided to go right now, they would get back at the same time haha) The missionaries were all invited to President Thompson's house on Sunday to watch the missionary announcement and the Preisthood session. We've all been talking about how the Lord is speeding up His efforts to gather Isreal. Imagine what the Lord's voice would have been like in that moment: ''Thomos, it is time to hasten the harvest.'' Crazy right? But I was very excited to hear about that.
   The week went very well. It was a little slower because Elder Hyde and I got a little sick, but now we're all better. We've been focusing efforts on finding more people to teach, because we're low on investigators, and 2 more just got baptized! S (2565) and drum roll... I! (2568) The baptism was great. When it first started, I still had not shown up. Elder Hyde and I were praying like crazy! She arrived, we got her dressed, took a quick pic, and then headed to the font room. She seemed really stressed out about something while she was waiting, but after she got baptized, she was very happy. Her and S both described that they felt ''light''. They were both excited. S came up to Elder Hyde and whispered ''now it's time to endure to the end''. haha he's studied well!
   Don't worry, the pictures and debit card finally got here. It turns out that they were missent to Anguilla. I don't know where that is, but it must be far, because it took a while for them to get here, but you guys can activate the card whenever you like. :) That same day was a very neat one. I don't remember if I ever wrote you all about a man named J L back in Cassequele. (He's a man who I swear will be the Stake Patriarch or Temple President someday. He's not baptized because he's been working on getting his documents for marriage done. HE IS AWESOME. He might as well be a member, but he's litterally been fighting with the government to get married. He rocks) His son, A, as well as our ward mission leader, V, left for their missions that day. A went to Cape Verde, and V went to Moçambique. Technically, he's always lived in his misssion. ;) It was neat to see two more people that I knew well go out on their missions!
   Sunday, I felt the Spirit very strongly during the confirmations. It was great! To be honest, Sunday was one of the best Sundays of my mission! Everything felt good, we had the confirmations, plus we broke the Luanda 1 branch record for frequency: 123 people! It was great. Also, President Bautista told A that she'll be getting a calling next week, which will be great for her. That is exactly what she needs to be retained, so we're very excited. Also, we brought 2 investigators to church together. O and K. They are really neat (they don't know eachother other than from yesterday). O is a big, nice man who's going through a divorce with his wife. He found the church through mormon.org and was my first reference from church headquarters. He's really interested in the doctrine and was exited about the Word of Wisdom and how families can be together forever.
   Remember when I talked about how we found a drunk man who fell in front of me and I saw emptiness in his eyes? (check back a few emails) That was K. There was one day when he stopped us on the street, drunk, high on marijuana, and asked for a Book of Mormon. He read the whole thing. We've been teaching him and are working with him to quit drinking now. He came to church, sober, and said that he felt the Spirit for sure. They both loved Sunday.
   Next, we've got C and his girlfriend's sister planned to be bapitzed on the 20th. It should go well. We just need to get permission from their mom (R: C's girfriend, Nice: her sister).
   Make sure that you all keep writing me like you have been! I've been loving all of your letters. Keep em big, and I'll keep mine big ok?

Love you all, can't wait to see you again,

Elder Alex Hobbs


PS 2559 is a picture of how we do baptisms: Mission Angola Luanda style. Yea
 Please pray for rain... aparently almost all of Angola is dependent on Hydro electricity, and the rivers are way low this year. Power is failing a lot and so is water! (We're ok, it's just a little hard... but yea, pray for rain!) :)

PS, mom, if you want, you can pretend that this is my new area! (It's not, but you can pretend) (2570)

And this is Elder Bene. He is from Mozambique and will head home in 2 weeks! He has the absolute most INTENSE faces. (you can call him Elder Bene on the blog if you want, because that isn't actually his real name...) (2422)

LOVE and AMOR,

Elder Alex Hobbs




 To my family,

   I'm sorry that I haven't gotten letters out to any of you. It's a little hard to get to the office, plus it costs 3$ to send a letter. And lately their net has been down, so they haven't sent to the US. (I think someone choked on the red tape back there, haha) Love you all!

Please let my friends know the same. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment