Monday, February 20, 2012

Sixth Week in the MTC

Minha familia favourito!
Estes semanas passadas have been great! We got our malaria pills a few days ago. All of us are very excited to leave for Angola in 2 weeks. Time has gone very very fast. I have learned so much about being a missionary. . I've  learned more about focus, whether it be on studying, or just keeping my mind on the work. I hope you're all having lots of fun.
Tell Weston and Owen that I am very excited to hear about the things in their lives and to get their e-mails. Also, please let them know that even though they don't have a black tag or the title of 'Elder', they can be missionaries if they want to. As I've been here, I've thought of many people from back home that could have used something from the gospel. Back then, I didn't think I knew how to help. Looking back, I realize that everything I needed was in Preach My Gospel and the Scriptures. Be bold. This life is very short, and if we look at things with the perspective of eternity, we'll realize that if we but try, all things can be done. You only need two things: 1. The help of the Lord. Pray for it daily and keep His commandments. 2. your will power to focus and do the things that need to be done. I say, especially for my brothers: read the scriptures every day. Also, read from Preach My Gospel. Use it as an answer guide rather than a book. Think of a question in your mind and then use the index to search for your answer. Pray in faith that the Lord will help you (for he will). I am very excited for the both of you. I also know that your missions will be very successful if you are faithful (and, let's face it... you guys will be faithful. I know you. (:)
Anyhow, my time at the MTC is growing small. The gift of tongues is very real for those who actively seek it. I've had opportunities to speak with other elders who know the languages of French, Spanish, and Italian. I understand Spanish completely word for word (although they don't understand one word from us), I can understand most of French if I listen very hard. Last night, I had the opportunity to sit and talk with my friend Elder Calvin Gibbons. I was so happy to see him again. We spoke to eachother about letters from home, and about our missions. I also got to read from his Italian Book of Mormon, and I understood about 40% of it. It is very cool. But, I must admit, Portugues is a beautiful language.
Alright, funny seminary story for Weston: Brother Simmons is the champ at star dartz. He's like Brother Johnson at basketball, but with star dartz. So, one day, I brought in my aviators to class, and we tried for like ten minutes to get a dart to stick... we didn't quite get it, but I believe it can happen some day.
Suggestion for a dog: Owen, you might try getting a husky. Those are much more expensive, but they're dogs who are very friendly, smart, and live for a very long time.
Luxana! I miss you so much! Orange Leaf is going to be very fun in 22 months! I hear that you're having problems in school. Keep doing good, and listen to mommy and your teacher so that you can be big and smart when I get home ok? I miss you lots and love you lots!
 
I love you all so much. I thank mom and dad for preparing me so well for a mission. I feel like I'm much more ready for it than some of my companions are. I've developed some very good friendships with some of them. Elder Wilson says he's going to room with me at BYU-I in two years. Elder Chandler is quickly becoming one of my very best friends in the World. He has so much faith to be out here. He's 21, and things are sometimes hard back at his home, but he chooses to come out here and follow God. He will be a powerful missionary. We all will be.
 
A group of 4 missionaries came last week to our zone. 3 are going to Mozambique, one is going to Angola. I can't wait to be out there, and for it to be July, when Angola becomes its own mission.
 
I love you all so very much. Don't fear for me. Remember that heaven is behind me, and that the Lord will bless you everyday. Eu amo-os.
 
Elder Alex Hobbs

No comments:

Post a Comment